Uppsala University Main building is centrally located in the city’s historic district. This imposing building, in a kind of Roman Renaissance style, was designed by architect Herman Teodor Holmgren and built in the 1880s. It was inaugurated in 1887 amidst great festivities.
There are several grand rooms in the building: the amazing and spacious foyer with splendid interiors, the grand auditorium with seating for around 1800 and a number of lecture rooms. On the upper level is the so-called Chancellor’s Room, where the university rector receives prominent guests. This room, like a series of other neighbouring rooms, is adorned with numerous portraits depicting kings, cultural figures and, above all, professors who have been active at the university over the centuries. The university’s art collection is one of the largest in the country owned by the state.
The University Main Building is today used for lectures, conferences, concerts, academic ceremonies, fairs and various other types of events. The building is an ideal arena for those seeking somewhere special for meetings and events.